View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 11:17 PM
foufymaus

perhaps taking her shopping for fabrics and a simple dress/backpack/something cute could spark an interest. Is she big on halloween? How old is she? Does she look at magazines like marie claire or vogue? Perhaps mimicking a few pieces would help. I saw a really simple dress in one of them recently that i KNOW even i could make. *wink* They were selling it for $768 *nods* yep. So find out what she's in to. Even if it's fashion, if its technology then have her make a bag for her gizmos, Ipod covers, phone covers, have her pick fabrics and such.

Maybe asking her what she wants to be this year and then have her start designing a (simple) costume. It may take a while but interest is there. LOL

I've watched my mom quilt for years and never had an interest to pick up the rotary cutter. Then this year all of a sudden, i see a pretty Kenmore 50 and *bam* i'm piecing together my first quilt. lol It's almost magic seeing how much i've picked up over the years is helping with it. Mom is totally laughing at my attempt too! But she is offering advice on most of my problems. So in the future when i use the good fabric and encounter these problems again at least i know how to fix them.

My seams are messy, i'm totally using the wrong type of fabric (70's polyester) but it's coming along nicely for a first time deal. LOL My reasons for the type of fabric, i found a whole lot of yardage for a really low price of $2 for 4 yards on 4 different colors. I figured i'm going to screw up my first piece anyway might as well not blow mucho $$$$ on the good stuff.

I'm learning how the machine handles and it's 'vibe' like, i found out it has a slight clicking sound when i have it on one of the zig zag levels. I suspect the timing is off a bit there. Also it doesn't like to zigzag sometimes, and ya have to give it a bit of a boost with the hand wheel.

By the way, i'm 34. *wink*