View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 10:54 AM
amh

I do my machine quilting on my kitchen table. I made a table extension for my machine -- just do a google search on "Youtube How to build a cheap sewing and quilting table" for information on how to do so. I think that you have as big a surface as you can, but mine isn't that big, and I like that I can push the table to the wall, so things don't fall off the table. I would say that the thing I've made extends about 2 1/2 feet to the left of the needle and 1 1/2 feet behind. The wall would probably be another foot beyond that. Yes, it would be nice to have a larger space, but that's all I really need.

How big is your sewing surface. I'm picturing a little closet with your sewing machine in it. If you sew on a table, don't forget you can put your ironing board beside or behind, for added surface, or another table or desk beside the table you sew on. If you are working at quilts all day every day, you need more than I do where I enjoy it as a hobby, and don't need to have everything perfect.