Old 05-27-2013, 11:09 AM
miriam
Power Poster

We went camping for a couple days. I had a Singer 99 set up for HC. I sat and sewed a few things - before I knew it I had a crowd. A boy came along and watched. Pretty soon he just had to test out my machine. I let him hand crank while I sewed. Then he wanted to try it. Me being rather lazy gave him a piece of paper to test it with no thread. He had a blast. I made him keep a straight line. For the longest time he couldn't do it. If he started it right he figured it would keep going straight. Well, he learned. Then when he got that I made him do curves. Then I made some dots to stitch to and turn. He mastered it all in a short time. Then he just had to look under the machine. So I let him look under it. Then he had to look in the end and the bobbin at the same time. I told him about timing. I showed him how the thread made a loop, etc. He just plain got it. He had the hardest time understanding the tension - maybe I'm not a good teacher... We should have him on here to tell us all what kind of simple machine each part is. He totally gets it. He watched the needle bar and exclaimed it was a piston. I love it. Oh and he is only 7. I think his name is Zach. That kid needs his own machine, I fear for his momma's WM wonder...

Last edited by miriam; 05-27-2013 at 11:12 AM.