View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I prefer a serpentine as it is much more forgiving than straight stitching. I have done it with the serpentine half on/half off the binding and also with the serpentine completely on the binding. I think I prefer the latter. The left side of the serpentine gets close enough to the edge that there is no risk of the binding edge turning up.

Best thing to do is experiment with the serpentine settings until you get a look that you like, then prepare a sample quilt edge and try out different placements on the sample. This will tell you pretty quickly what you like best.

Edit: I have tried decorative stitches other than the serpentine, but the only ones that are equally forgiving are those that do not have a center line. My feather stitch, for example, has a center line in addition to left and right stitches. This makes it as difficult to do as straight line stitching. If you have a machine that does non-centered decorative stitches you might want to try a few out. The other thing I found with decorative stitches (other than the serpentine) is that they can take a lot more thread and a lot more time to sew.

Last edited by Prism99; 05-27-2013 at 01:44 PM.