Thread: Hello from DFW~
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 07:30 PM
NaomiA

Default Hello from DFW~

Greetings! My name is Naomi, and I have loved quilts for as long as I can remember. As a little girl, they made me feel safe, warm, and loved. When I was about 5 or 6, I remember my grandmother having what she called a "good old fashioned quilting bee." It just so happened that my great grandmothers and my aunts were in town, so she decided to make the most of their visit! When I was a little older, I would spend summers with my grandmother. During the days we would hand tack the quilt tops that she had made over the winter, and in the evenings we would cut pattern pieces for her "to do" stack. I don't remember many of the patterns, but I know we did a lot of flower gardens, star quilts, and nine patches. I never did the actual sewing of the quilts though --- and the time with my grandmother ended when I married and moved away from home. Eventually she was unable to quilt, and it seems that no one else in the family has taken it up. As my boys are now teenagers, I decided that I wanted to start quilting. I just completed a quilting 101 class, and also a bargello technique class. I have fallen in love with Bargellos. Since April, I've completed (except for the binding) 2 baby quilts. I have a throw size 4 patch in progress, and hope to finish up the borders on my first lap size Bargello tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone here. When I'm not quilting, I am teaching, reading, doing photography or the countless daily things that come as being a wife and mother to 3 boys.

Just wanted to introduce myself instead of just lurking.