Old 05-30-2013, 05:08 AM
nanna-up-north

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
Joe, just curious. Does the smaller wire have larger individual strands? If so, could a smaller bunch of larger individual strands rate as high as a larger bunch of lesser diameter strands? Just asking. I know a solid copper wire rated the same as stranded wire is smaller in total diameter. Sounds confusing, but I hope it comes across as I desire. Kind of like a 12 gauge is a 12 gauge whether one is 6 shot or 8 1/2 shot. It takes more of 8 1/2 shot than 6 shot to make the same 12 gauge. This analogy probably doesn't equate but is my way of explaining what I'm trying to get across.
I'm no electrical expert or anything but I think I can offer a little explanation. The thicker the metal strand, the more electricity can flow. Think of it as a road. A small 2-lane road can carry a few cars but an freeway with 6 lanes going both ways can carry a lot more cars.... and trucks, too. Those trucks (large amount of electrical ions) would destroy a small road (road bans in the spring, for example). Electrical wire in a house is one big, fat strand to carry a lot of electrical charge (ions) but the wire used for sewing machines is a lot of smaller strands. A lot of smaller strands is more flexible but since you have lots of strands you can carry the same amount of charge when it is distributed across all the strands. And if one strand blows out, that's not a lot of electrical charge to do a lot of damage.... like burning your house down, etc. Does this make sense? Okay, I'm a physics geek.