Old 05-31-2013, 06:11 AM
onthelake

I was born and grew up in Louisiana. This is the way my mother taught me to make Corn Bread. The only changes I've made to her recipe is she always used about 1/2 tsp baking soda, but I don't like that taste so I leave it out.
Corn Bread
1 ½ cups cornmeal (stone ground is best)
½ cup all purpose flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1TBSP Baking Powder
1 tsp. salt
¼ cup cooking oil
Buttermilk

1. Directions for Cornbread: Preheat oven to 425-degrees. Combine the above ingredients, adding enough buttermilk to make the mixture look like wet concrete (this is the way my mother taught me). Stir it all together and pour into hot prepared skillet. Place in preheated oven and bake until golden brown on top (about 25 minutes). Turn out onto a plate and enjoy with butter!

2. Preparing Skillet: Heat cast iron skillet on top of stove. Add enough oil (about 2 TBSP) to cover the bottom and sprinkle in a little cornmeal to cover the bottom (this makes a nice crust and helps keeps it from sticking).

Note: This is not Rocket Science and can be altered and still get great results. I often make a small skillet by reducing everything in proportion, but still use a whole egg and it turns out great!

Last edited by onthelake; 05-31-2013 at 06:18 AM. Reason: added salt