View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 06:29 AM
Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
This subject is always good for discussion! Did you ladies read the entire info given on this site? I think that much of her info is correct. Also she lists several other sites with agreeing info. Dianne specifically says that you may not post pic if it is to SELL a quilt made from a pattern. When you make a quilt from a copyrighted pattern you are in essence "copying" that pattern /"reproduced in the finished product"so you can not sell the quilt . However you can ask for "Permission" to sell quilt and f you get it then you can proceed. Check you books and patterns. Most have the same copyright information. I have one book that says " it is permissioible for the purchaser to creat the designs contained herein and sell hem at fairs, bazaars, and craft stores"There are hundreds of patterns that are consided "public domain" and can be used to sell quilts with no infringement on copyright laws.
Copyright laws DO NOT extend to items made by other people from patterns you have sold. It does NOT matter what someone states on a website or in a book. The actual law is all that matters and the actual law does NOT extend rights beyond your own work product or "creative expression." She is selling patterns with the expectation that people will make items from those patterns. What they do with those items is not within her control or rights. You do not need her permission to sell a quilt made from a pattern you bought.

The exception is if you copy an original work of art that is copyrighted. An original painting, drawing or photograph can not be copied in fabric without permission from the copyright holder.

I looked at her patterns. I don't see a single one that's truly original. They're all variations of a Lone Star.