View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 06:37 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
Has anyone made a quilt with embroidered blocks from muslin? I use muslin for backing and just love the texture, the feel, and simplicity of it.

Another question...what fabric would you use for making an embroidered door hanging?
Yes, I completed and have 4 others started. Some are done with cutwork and others are done with embrodery while others have fancy stitching. I used Southern Bell muslin. Great quality and less than $5 a yrd. I had bought some from Walmarts on the bolt and it was such a let down but since it was so cheap, its my practice fabric. Muslin lets your designs. The first one in class we used thread to match the fabric. The ones that I have started I used mostly varigated thread and it really lets the design stand out against the muslin background.

For a door hanging you might want something a little more durable if its going to be outside. Maybe broadcloth or something sturdy like that. Some upolestry fabric might work as well. I want to make a flag so I'm checking that out because I don't want it to end up fading or mildewing.

Last edited by romanojg; 06-01-2013 at 06:40 AM.