Old 06-02-2013, 05:35 AM
DogHouseMom

Originally Posted by works4me View Post
DogHouseMom - What a cruel teacher. There are ways of telling someone they won't be a professional without dashing their spirit. That wasn't one of them.
Not cruel at all ... I would say "pragmatic". He was actually one of my favorite teachers. Here's the whole story ...

He was an old Italian guy, thick Italian accent which was no problem for me because I come from a thick Italian family. He always called me by my last name, I think because it reminded him of home He called every other kid by their first names ... I was "special".

So I go to him one day during my Senior year in HS (he had been my teacher through all 4 years as I "majored" in art). I said ... "Mr Valicelli can you help me put together a portfolio to submit to the Art Institute". He considered the question seriously for a while then asked (say this with a thick Italian accent) "DeGuiseppe ... do you want to be an art teacher?". I said no disrespect to your profession but no, I want to work in advertising. He then asked "DeGuiseppe ... do you know someone in the business?". I answered no, I did not. He then said "If you want to work in advertising but do not know someone in the business to get you in, you gotta be a genius. You ... you ain't no genius, you gonna starve. You should teach."

I agree with his assessment 100% ... I ain't no genius.