Old 06-02-2013, 05:54 AM
gaiatender

Thank you for the kind remarks. I loved doing it. And...I can understand why so many said they wanted to keep theirs. This was the first crazy quilt attempt but it is SO addicting. It makes me all the more enviable of those classic large quilts of vintage quality and ages. I can see how they were so personalized and treasured. I have to confess. For my first two quilts I did not send any additional gifts. I went back and saw what others had done. My friend Lisa has been after to get back into quilting (she was/is my quilt teacher through our local college). She told me to look around through my "stuff" and I could come up with new, useful things others could use.
When I knew the CQ challenge was coming up I went out and got some books, literature on crazy quilts. Lisa had told me of a lady (Judith Baker Montano) who is well known for her "Elegant Stitches". My mom, who just passed a year ago had a huge library of good quality books on needle work of all types. She had been a hand-quilter for a short time, had impeccable needle skills, especially with counted cross stitch. After I had purchased my books I found a brand new copy of "Elegant Stitches," with my mom's signature in it. That one, of course I treasure now. Mom always spoke of an heirloom quilt from her mother's side of the family that one day disappeared. She was going to attempt one but never did. I know I go on and on sometimes...wanted to share my process. If you have an opportunity, check out Judith Baker Montano's website...very inspiring...also quite the character. Thank you all for sharing, love learning about everyone.