View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 06:41 PM
nancysp

Default Granny's vintage quilt, seeking advise

[ATTACH=CONFIG]416874[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]416875[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]416876[/ATTACH]

I have been given a quilt made by my Great Grandmother. My mother is 83 and her grandmother was born in 1878 and died in 1938. She lived in Southwestern Wisconsin. It is machine pieced (and the binding is even sewn on by machine) but the top is all hand quilted. It is only pink and white and some of the pink has faded. There are a few stains, but I see no tears in the quilt (except one place that was very nicely darned as repair). It is very thin and I know it was used as a bedspread.

I would like to display it. Maybe hang it up on the wall in my sewing room as inspiration. I cannot leave it on the bed (I have cats). If it sits in the closet, I get no enjoyment out of it but would look at it daily if it were on the wall. It is 72" square.

A few questions: There are a few stains - possibly rust or maybe something else. Is there anything you'd recommend to remove them? I have a front load gentle machine. There are no missing stitches in the hand quilting so I think it would be OK.

How would you recommend hanging it on the wall? (or is that a bad idea?)

Would anyone know the name of the pattern?

Some of the pink material has faded and there are a few stains. Otherwise, it's in wonderful condition. Should I have it appraised? I have no plans on parting with it, just want to know if anyone thinks it has anything other than sentimental value.
Attached Thumbnails quilt2resized.jpg   quilt1resize.jpg   quilt3resize.jpg