View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 05:46 AM
MaryAnna

Originally Posted by pocoellie
First thing to ask is what is she willing to pay, explain that quilt fabric, batting, etc., is pretty expensive. You wouldn't want to use poor quality fabrics and have it fall apart. Second, get a deposit. I have a friend who had a friend that "always wanted" a quilt, she didn't get a deposit, she's made the quilt, notified the "friend" it was done, and hasn't heard or seen the "friend" since. Third, you need to know what she likes: modern, country, etc., size of the bed, does she like the old time wrinkled look, if so, don't prewash the fabrics. These are all things I can think of right now that you definitely need to find out, before you start on her quilt, she may be thinking you'll make it for under $100, you can't compete with Wal Mart, K Mart or stores like that.
I agree! And sometimes people pay a 'compliment' by saying, 'make one for me', never really intending on buying one from you. You need to solidify the 'order'. Get a deposit, etc. People don't have any idea how expensive a 'home made' quilt can be. They think that because it's home made, it's cheaper than Wal Mart, K Mart, JC penney, etc. Heck you can get a decent quilt- that's actually pieced & quilted at Penney's for $59.99 on sale for a King! No it's not as great as home made; however, it's not bad-especially at that price. We can't make a quilt for $60.00.
Regards,
MaryAnna