View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 05:52 AM
JulieB

Default Flour Sack Memory Quilt

My grandmother died 2 years ago this summer, and my grandfather 3 years before her. I inherited my grandma's fabric stash, which included a bag full of 1930's flour sack material. I finally started to look at doing something with this material, instead of just letting it mold away. Most of the material was fragments, where I could see that little tiny dress pieces were cut out of it, which made it very emotional to size down into the patches I needed. What kept me going was the surety that my grandma would be thrilled to pieces to see me using this material. I made a throw-sized quilt from that material. As I was going through her stash to look for something for the back, I found material which has to be 1940's vintage. It has a decided military theme. While my grandpa served in the Navy, not the Army, it was still a reminder to me of him, which I felt deserved a place in this quilt. I quilted the main body with different feather motifs, but in the sashing and all around the borders I used words for quilting. I included my grandparents' names and dates in the sashing, and all around the borders I included some of my favorite memories of them. This is quite a special quilt for me. I hope you enjoy looking at it too.
Attached Thumbnails img_0636.jpg   img_0639.jpg   img_0643.jpg   img_0466.jpg