View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 07:55 AM
Sallyjane

Default Day of the Dead look

I have made two baby quilts with "Day of the Dead" looking skulls in the fabric. Both quilts were LOVED!!!! Nothing excites me more than finding the theme that mommy and daddy like and making an unique quilt for their baby. Have you ever gotten a handmade gift that was not your style or taste? Though you can appreciate the time that went into the project, it makes you realize that the gift giver either does not know you that well or wants to convert you to their preferences. Anyways....you didn't ask any of us what our opinion was of the skulls for a baby quilt did you? But you got it!!!

The baby is going to see black, white and brights. The skulls will mean nothing to a baby, how could they? For border and sashings, if I was making this quilt, I would use the same fabric as in the bows and flowers. I think 2" squares sewn together in a scrappy fashion would be so cute and could be easily made with strip piecing. One more thought, and this is something I just saw yesterday: the skull in your center square could be cut out of lace fabric, like an eyelet fabric. Super cute and girly!!

Have fun with your project and know that you are making something that the mom and dad will cherish.