Old 06-04-2013, 08:35 PM
ocsfollowme

Default 2x Original WW2 patch quilts almost complete after 8 years in the making

Greetings,

I am getting excited as I am about to start the binding and sleeves on both of these king size quilts this weekend. This has been an 8 year process due to the expense of acquiring the original world war patches and sometimes even harder--finding them. It was supposed to be a double size quilt but ended up becoming two king size quilts! My goal is to get them on tour across the country and eventually end up hanging in a museum.

Due to the weight of each, I was advised to sew around each of the patches so that it would not sag. Finishing the second one tomorrow (sewing around the patches). There are over 300 different patches on each quilt!!

These are not the latest photos, but it is hard to take them on the ground since they are so large. I'll post better ones next week when the binding and sleeves are complete.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]417230[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]417231[/ATTACH]

Should I make sleeves for the top and bottom? The quilts weigh 14 lbs each. I sewed around each of the patches to keep them from sagging so possibly one at top would work? Advice needed for this please.

Any advice of quilting shows that take quilts on tour across the country? I wanted to get them completed several years ago but I had to spend 12 months in Afghanistan so that slowed me up. WW2 vets are passing away in high numbers and I would love to be able to have those veterans who remain to be able to see this. The patches are in order to by Army, corps, divisions, commands, etc.

-Steve
Attached Thumbnails 1800x601.jpg   2800x668.jpg  

Last edited by ocsfollowme; 06-04-2013 at 08:43 PM.