View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Blackberry

Default Estate Sale Find In Monkey Wards Box

My DH and I were at an estate sale this morning and he spotted this Monkey Ward Box which was taped up and he figured it was a Wards machine. He took a peek and saw the singer logo on top and purchased it for $35 not knowing what it was exactly as it was incased in Styrofoam padding. It turned out to be a Singer with the Sphinx decals. It is in pretty good condition, the needle goes up and down, the wheel is a little hard to turn but I am sure it needs a good oiling and some other tlc. The number is 16429204. In checking the Singer serial number database it appears it was mfg'd in 1899. The database for numbers with no letters does not give the model of this machine. I think it might be a V2, 27, or 127. Does anyone have a clue as to the model of this machine. The motor, light and the bobbin winder mechanism were loose in the box. It appears to have been a treadle at one time but has been converted to an electric model. Also, I don't believe the wheel was the original one that came with this machine. I believe this machine would have had a spoke wheel. I am thinking I would like to turn it into a hand crank. Would this be a possibility for this machine. These pictures were taken as we took it out of the box. It needs to be thoroughly cleaned.
Attached Thumbnails 2013-june-6-singer-sphinx-sewing-machine-007-resized.jpg   2013-june-6-singer-sphinx-sewing-machine-011-resized.jpg   2013-june-6-singer-sphinx-sewing-machine-012-resized.jpg   2013-june-6-singer-sphinx-sewing-machine-015-resized.jpg