Old 06-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Sandrea

I'm a little embarrased to tell you my story, is about the horrible thing "I did" to my poor DH. Many years ago he worked at the Power Company and when they would throw out and discard old motors that no longer ran, he, being a mechanic, would take the motors apart and collect the platinum wire inside the motors, wind them around spools and save them. He had a lot of spools of platinum saved over the years. One day when I was a Den Leader Coach for the Cub Scouts, I was making crepe paper corsages for the mothers for the "Blue & Gold" Cub Scout Banquet. I needed wire to wrap around the crepe paper and stems and I made about 60 corsages. Some time later, DH commented "Honey have you seen my spools of platinum??" I said "What platinum?" He said well it looks like plain wire but it's platinum wire from old discarded motors. Oh boy!! "My face looked like the cat who swallowed the canary!!? He said "What did you do???" I said "w-e-l-l...remember those beautiful corsages I made for the Blue and Gold Banquet?" He said "YOU DIDN'T!!!!!" I guess he really must love me cause that was 20 some years ago and we are still married 53 years. About a year ago, he sold the platinum wire that was still left in his collection. It was bringing at that time, between $1,500 and $1,600 per ounce. I think he made something like $8,000 for the remaining wire, but I got a good talking to, about using almost half of the platium wire he once had in the collection. I was wishing I had never gotten into his wire box. (But the ladies at the Banquet, never knew they each had a corsage worth a couple hundred dollars that year and their corsage probably went in the trash after the Banquet).