Thread: Swaps/postage
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Daylesewblessed

Not to confuse the issue, but there is a flat rate military box also.

Back to the main subject -- You can use usps.com to pay for postage and print labels for Priority Mail shipping. I am not familiar with the Paypal rates, but using usps.com is a nice discount over the post office prices. You may also request free pick-up from the postal carrier, and depending on how far it is to your post office, this lack of driving may represent the biggest savings of all. Delivery confirmation is free on all Priority Mail packages where postage is paid for via usps.com. That is another savings.

You can get legal size flat rate Priority Mail cardboard envelopes. The postage is slightly higher than the regular size envelopes, but the space is quite a lot bigger. I have found it to work great for fabric.

I think the most frustrating thing is that postal clerks don't offer consistent information. The biggest problem seems to be in first class envelope postage. It is extra for oversize (I think 6 x 10 is about the limit), extra if it is stiff (a subjective judgment), and extra if it doesn't fit through the slot (1/4" I think). I have had clerks tell me that a clasp on a manila envelop jumps it up to another level. Other clerks have said if you tape over the clasp, it doesn't count as higher postage. A homemade fabric postcard also has a great variation in clerk opinion, and I have found that if it is put in a sealed envelope it goes the cheapest.

I have done Ebay for over 10 years and mailed out a lot of stuff. The flat rate post office boxes are great if the item is heavy, but relatively small. Once you get over 5 pounds or so, and the item is too big for the flat rate boxes, then I have found other carriers such as FedEx or UPS to be the best value. With them insurance is drovides up to about $100. Post office insurance is ridiculously expensive.

Concerning first class (13 ounces and under), distance doesn't matter in cost within the U.S. One yard of cotton quilting fabric can usually be sent for $2.25 - $2.75 in a manila envelope depending on fabric weight and also envelope weight. Two yards costs about $3.00-3.50. If I mail out a presser foot in a padded envelope, the least I will pay is $2.07 -- it is categorized as a "package" even if it is in an envelope, I guess because it won't fit in the 1/4" slot.

Media mail is another ball game altogether. The thing to remember about it is that you cannot include any correspondence, and the item cannot have advertising. Therefore quilting magazines don't qualify for Media Rate. I once was told by a clerk that I could not use newspaper even in shreds as packing material when sending a book, because the newspaper has ads on it.

I tell the postal clerks the same thing I tell the Joann's clerks -- I am happy to play by the rules if I know what they are that day.

Dayle

Last edited by Daylesewblessed; 06-08-2013 at 10:29 AM.