View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 11:46 AM
MacThayer

Cool

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
For a hospital bed you actually want it narrower than a twin so it doesn't hang off the edge much and get caught in the bed mechanism.
Ask a nurse working in a hospital! I have 39 years in nursing, and too much overhang is a real problem for bed rails and other working mechanisms. I don't know the size of a hospital bed mattress, but just think of this. You want it to cover the patient, and NOT have to be tucked in at the end. So a smaller person could use a smaller quilt than a larger person. You might also be able to use the same small quilt to cover their laps when sitting up. I'd think that was a real consideration, or at least it was for the nurses. The blankets were always too big, and got caught in Wheel chair mechanisms, and the bath blankets were the right size, but not very warm if warmth is needed.

If you want to make her a double sized quilt to use at home, then do it. But please don't try to make one quilt work for everything. It will end up being used for nothing because the nurses can't put it on the bed, in the lap, etc. You have to make this quilt "sized to fit the patient". Please!!