View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 PM
cricket_iscute

When I need precision piecing or am going to a class, I turn to the Featherweight. I have a quilt cut out now that will need precision and I'll do it on the Featherweight. But for everyday sewing or string quilts, I turn to my Singer 301 and/or other machines. I always have at least one machine set up and dedicated to piecing.

The Featherweight has a good stitch and the feed dogs allow more precision, I think. The 301 has gears rather than belts as a Featherweight does, and is therefore more powerful. The 301 also free motion quilts like a dream, and I would never again do that on a Featherweight, which wasn't made for fmq. Trying to do so was an exercise in frustration. The Singer 221 Featherweight is a joy to use as a piecing machine, and really only that. It is not all that versatile, but it is lightweight and good for traveling or in an RV, I would think. I wouldn't give mine up.

If you set yours up and left it up for piecing, I think you would get a lot of use out of it and would be glad you got it. It is a wonderfully engineered machine.