Old 06-09-2013, 05:16 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

About the Block ... Forgot to tell the rest of the story ... When I went back on Fri night, the Challenge Coordinator met me with Congratulations that I had won the class!!! I think she was thrilled that I had added the bell to it and did the extra embroidery. No idea as to what tipped the Judge's decision though. They did not have them displayed yet, so I was given the stack of 13 entries to go thru, one by one! That was a nice treat for me. A lot cut out the "wheels" and appliqued them to the background fabric. Many had no reference to the cowbells part of the theme. A couple had beautiful carousel horses appliqued on, with the "wheels" patched onto the horses, like blankets. A couple were simply pieced blocks using the fabrics and the wheel fabric just showed up thru the large patches. One had used a black polka dot addition that really brought out the punch in the block, and some had reds. A cute one had a piece of cow print, covered over by the spotted fabric done as a peak-a-boo block. A couple had appliqued cowbell shapes on top of the blocks. I forget what else. I had hoped for the display to be done so I could do a photo. Darn! Should have asked her to do it and send it to me, as I expect the display will be gone by the time I get there tonight. Now, I have to wait til next year to see the finished quilt!

JanieW ... Thank you for your part in this winning block. I managed to find a small scale spotted material in a pieces of fabric I had bought for the PC, but never used.

OKSGlad ... I forgot to mention the added highlight of WDE Exec being from Ames! I'm thinking with all the cross-overs that you will know him. Now you have me wondering what you were EQ creating last night ... of course, it just might help if I were to read the old posts! When do you fly off? Getting excited?

MiraB ... Thank you ... I wish I had started earlier ... and would have had the time to fiddle and figure, to have the cow right against the carousel, on the top and left sides, without the white background there. Being down to the crunch ... and knowing I wanted to try to get my PC done, I was less interested in the block at that point!

Anael ... so sorry for you and your loss. It's an odd feeling isn't it ... my MIL died a month ago, and the family did not let me know. The first I knew was when my sister called and was chatting away, and made no sense. I finally asked, what are you taking about? and she back tracked and told me, and added "but your name was in the paper". I wasn't surprised that they did not contact me, though on the other hand, I had hoped they would rise to the occasion and tell me directly, but no.

MiraB ... Your daughter looks fantastic! How much is she down now? Keep congratulating and encouraging her on her progress, for me. Lovely dress ... was there a special occasion? Again, I bet the answer lies for me in the unread posts! I do like those blocks. Perhaps nicer than last year's set, as they are more unique? Have you started making them yet?

JanRN ... I bet you acted as the FARM tour guide to your FART'ing friends yesterday. Just think how much the wiser you are thanks to your PC education! Not far from me is a buffalo farm too, and yes, seems odd to see the beasts out on the range ... and less than an hour to downtown TO, as well! Do I have to read the earlier posts to find out about the FART?

QNSue ... agree with the others. Those quilts are beyond belief!!! Thanks for giving us the link. Just when I'd think I had seen the best, then there'd be another. Can you imagine gasping for air if we'd seen them IRL?

Last edited by QuiltE; 06-09-2013 at 05:34 AM.