Old 06-10-2013, 05:34 PM
petthefabric

I think this is a philosophigle (excuse the spelling please) question.

"Quilt Police" implies the imposing personalities who negetivly judge and condemn people for not doing it their way. Since it's their way or the highway, there's no telling what they think personnally at the moment. Therefore I don't even give them the time of day.

On the other hand, if you enter a quilt in a judged show, you are asking for, not their opinion, but how it conforms to a predetermined set of rules. This has been helpful to me, "Quilting for Show: a Practical Guide to Successful Competition Quilting", by Karen McTavish, published by On-Word Bound Books, copyright 2007.

I now do mostly art quilts and so I've determined to "break the rules". In judging, some rules still matter, unless I make it clear the I intended to break that rule. In some shows that's OK and in others it's not.

Finding a new way to accomplish something is welcome in most circles.

We all like to know how to judge our own work and some predetermined set of rules somehow makes us feel we can achieve "Master Quilter" status. It's very freeing for some of us rebels to learn to listen to our own inner voice and not defend it, just go with it. To me quiting is an expression of who I am. I like things tidy so very rarely are there loose threads, but sometimes that's how I feel. I have a subbtle dry sense of humor, so often there's some odd spot on my quilts. Matching points has no purpose to me, so my quilts intentionally don't match points, intersections, etc. This is about me, no one else. I think each person chooses for herself what is important to them and go with it. That's success.

So be yourself, everything you were made to be. Enjoy the journey to find out what that is.