View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 04:27 PM
petthefabric

Congratulations! Looks like you've done a lot of thinking and plannings. You've got a great start.

First I'd hang batting above doors to get them out of the working space. I've found that fabric on shelving is most accessable with 12" deep shelves. You have 96 sq ft for 24 linear ft of fabric storage. If you put the 24 linear ft shelving and movable design walls in front, you'd have double function for that space.

My arm length and range of comfortable motion is about 24", so that 8' sq table space I couldn't reach the center.
I'd make it into 2 stations, one for cutting and one for pressing.

When I'm having friends to sew and even when alone, I like to look at the design wall and what else is in the room. I especially don't want friends behind me. I love natural light but a large window allows light too bright for me to look at, so I don't want work stations facing a window, but rather the widow to the side of me. Also, sometimes I want the sewing machine station 4 ft deep so what I'm working on can rest on it

I like some things moveable so it can adapt to my needs at the time. I like storage drawers under all surfaces, my joints don't do well for getting down low to see whats in the back of cabinets.

Id put the longarm parrallel with the wall on the left and bookshelves along the wall. It only needs about 2' clearance between it and the shelves. That uses 7 ft and you've still got 17 ft to put a large cutting/work station behind it