Thread: old bobbins
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 PM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I think I was the one that posted I don't use old bobbins. Let me add more details of why. For one thing I like new bobbins. It's just a sewing eccentricity I have. Nothing wrong at all with most old bobbins.
But plastic bobbins can have small cracks and scratches after many uses. Metal bobbins if dropped can get out of round. Most times I have had terrible bobbin thread issues, when I changed to a new bobbin the problem disappeared. I wind older metal bobbins with all different color thread and keep in bobbin holder for hand sewing binding or yo yos or mending. Over the years I had way to many filled older bobbins so I started giving filled bobbin rings as gifts. A silicone bobbin ring with filled bobbins of different colors of Aurifil thread will make any quilter's face light up. Another reason to buy new bobbins and fill the old ones.
I don't remember if it was you or someone else. I did see it mentioned months ago and then again yesterday.

You mentioned a quilter's face light up when they got bobbins. I don't think I've ever been given bobbins, but if they fit my machine, I'd be quite happy. Here in Poland, there seem to be several popular sizes.

My question for you, then, is, do you use only use your bobbins once or just keep them for a certain while? I've ended up with quite a few bobbins and find myself trying to use up the ends of about 20 of them (which I've used for embroidery so they are mostly empty but still plenty of good thread on them) while sewing some borders and sashing on other projects.