View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 10:27 AM
blueheavenfla

Have you considered shelves above the counter area? Where are you keeping your thread?
My work station is similar to your plan but a bit smaller. I have 4 inch wheels on plywood with kitchen cabinets back to back with space between the backs for rolls of batting, really wide fabric on rolls, vinyl on rolls, and whatever else is long. Then there is plywood on top with a very large cutting mat. At one end, I have a smallish pressing station...about 20 x 24. I have my old fold up ironing board and a separate large ironing surface which fits on top. When not needed, these can be put in a closet. This has worked out well for me. My thread is on thread holders attached behind my machines. I have a lot of thread and it is readily available to see to match colors. The thread is divided according to type...cotton, rayon, poly for sewing and embroidery machine. Also a small area for decorative threads. Then there are shelves above with fabric in bins of various sizes which are marked as to what the project is. The fabric for the project is in a bin so I don't forget and use it for something else. Also have a place where I can note what I need to buy when I go out to shop next. My area is very small but I have 3 sewing or emb. machines and a serger, a computer and printer on my counter space. I have lights under the shelves above my machines and ceiling lights as well as a couple movable lights. There is only one small window and it is blocked by a window a/c.
I have a 5 x 8 design wall and a 15 x 9 removable design wall. I was lucky enough to see a movable pegboard in a store going out of business. For under $10, it is a wonder. It too, is on wheels and is about 5 feet tall with the pegboard in an x shape so different segments are devoted to different type of needs such as cutters (rotary, scissors, pinking scissors, etc) on one and the other 3 are devoted to 3 other "categories" of stuff. I have a wall mounted pegboard to the right of my Bernina (quilting mainly) where I have pliers, screwdrivers and other misc. tools for working on my machine. I also keep patterns that are in current use or my graft drawing of what I want so I can easily refer to it right there next to my Bernina.
My space is really small but there is a plan for expansion (someday). Envision a right triangle with the hypotenuse on the right side measuring 16 feet at the base and then chop off the tip and make that top flat and 6 feet wide. That is my space (or lack of space) but I manage to get all this stuff into it and I can still walk from one end to the other. I believe that my work station (cutting, pressing ) is 5x5 so you have lots more space and I can only utilize 3 sides of mine most of the time.
With my thread mounted on the wall behind my machines, it makes life so easy when I trly to match thread colors.
You have a wonderful space...enjoy it, as I do my mini version.
Donna