View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The most important question is: Is your guild a non-profit? If it is, there should be an auditing to determine if they are still maintaining their non-profit status when they have such a balance in the account.

Also, if the guild is non-profit the funds are *not* to be used just "for members" but for the promotion of the art of quilting for the benefit of the members *and* the public. Certain numbers of hours are to be spent in community work through donating charity quilts and other projects. Non-profits give back, that's the point.

If your guild does not have non-profit status, which will require some expense and time to acquire, perhaps that's something that ought to be looked into since it has all this money.

If they are not interested in non-profit, then I'd imagine some serious questions need to be answered about who is truly responsible for this fund from board to board. What happens to it if/when the guild disband, or the banks defaults, or a board member absconds with it, or they are challenged by a member or a public person?

Seriously, if I were a member of that guild I'd really want to know how long it has been building, has been collected, is being spent, and what the future plans for it are. If the board is not forthcoming, I'd collect several like-minded members, ask for a place of the meeting program, and bring the issue up for discussion and vote at a meeting.

Our guild of 110 members does not have non-profit status, charges $20 membership annually, puts on a show every 3 years, donates up to 250 community quilts annually, pays a small amount each month for the use of our meeting space, operates on a budget of less than $2000 yearly and is going strong and drawing new members several times a year. I can not imagine a guild having $30,000 in the bank, even if they had 800 members! And I've been "doing" guilds for decades.

Jan in VA