View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 03:32 AM
Yarn or Fabric

Default My iron died :'(

Last July I purchased what I thought was a great iron... It worked great - until it stopped the other day. I had been ironing in the morning and then the iron went to sleep... and it never woke up again.

It's a Black and Decker - and no, I don't want to buy a Rowenta or an Olisimo - and is under warranty... So I called the company and sure they'll replace it... after I cut off the end of the cord (to make it unusable) and send them a check for $7.50 to cover the cost of shipping. I've never had to pay for a warranty replacement before although I've rarely needed something replaced from other companies but this really caught me offguard... and it will take about 3 weeks for it to arrive.

I have another iron, an older $10 B&D which I'll be using until my new one arrives. I need to cut the cord off and send in my check maybe today. I'm so glad I have a scale at home that I can use to weigh it so I don't have to make a trip to the post office...

Has anyone else ever had to pay for a warranty replacement before? I just was surprised by it. I don't blame the company for doing it. I'm sure it cuts down on false warranty requests. I understand the cutting of the cord part as well.

Hubby said to buy it at Walmart again and return the broken one so that they'll send it in to B&D without a charge but I can't bring myself to do that. It was bought 11 months ago, not within the past 90 days.

I looked online and I coudln't find another iron that had as good of reviews as the one I bought so I think I'll definitely cough up the cash to send in my cord and cover the cost of shipping the replacement.