View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Skeat

Originally Posted by jamh
Our local wal mart is shutting down its fabric department!! It's so sad! And the next closest shop is 1 1/2 to 2 hours way. which is just to far to run for last minute project. So i was wondering if i opened a store in my town, where would i get the bolts of fabric, notions, all the good stuff! i haven't done any research yet, just wanted to say it out loud, get some feed back. You know? your ideas!
If you are serious, then here's some suggestions I'd suggest...
*Check out library books on business, espec quilt business
*Find a way to keep your store fees of rent, etc as low cost as possible
*File for not only a tax number but make sure to be a LLC (then you become a wholesaler on shows....all you have to do is inquire)
*You can start up w/a very least amount...for real!! Start w/essentials of basics...have yourself involved already while you prep in quilt groups...they will follow you:)Offer basic classes...and, even a tea time for all stitchers to come in and work on their projects for free....who wouldn't want to take a break and shop!:)Know that not all shops were loaded w/much money when they started...!
Those are the very basics...have a game/business plan of what you want...where you want to go, etc. What kind of quilt store do you want everyone to describe?? Most of all....Best of Luck!! Determination is what we are all about;)Skeat