View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 08:48 AM
MacThayer

Question Need advice on hand sewing needles.

I am in the process of binding a quilt by hand, normally an easy peasy job for me. However, I have developed peripheral neuropathy in my hands (due to long term Vit. B12 deficiency), and not only do they hurt, but I just don't have the dexterity I used to have, so I've really been struggling with this binding. I'm doing it well, but it's difficult.

What would really help is a longer, thinner, strong needle. I tried the applique needles, and just could cope -- too short. I've gone through 7 needles since starting this binding. The longer ones are so thick that they're hard to pull through the fabric. I did finally find one that was thinner, and 1.5 inches long, and that's helping. However, it would be better with a longer needle, but one that is still thin and sharp. Is there such a thing? The needle wouldn't have to be too much longer. Even a 2 inch needle would be an improvement. I'm finding that the longer needles are so much easier for me to manipulate. I'm all thumbs with those applique needles.

I am getting physical therapy, and my B12 deficiency is being treated aggressively, so I should get better, not worse. But I'll never be able to use a short needle again, and I don't want to give up all hand work on quilts. Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Last edited by MacThayer; 06-14-2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: corrections