View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 05:16 PM
Ps 150

Default Some Quilts For My Neighbor

A while back I asked for advice on blocks for a sampler quilt for my neighbor, who had just been diagnosed with a brain tumor ( http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t221476.html ). I wanted to finish the quilt quickly, though, so she'd have it post-op when she started her radiation treatment.

So, I chose to make Edyta Sitar's "Farmhouse Quilt". She grew up on a farm and is now back on a farm. Also, she has 11 children and this quilt had 12 houses, one for each of her children and one for her and her husband. About halfway through making this quilt, I also got the idea to do a signature quilt for her, from our whole church. So, I set about doing that one at the same time. While some of the blocks were being passed around for signing, I finished the first quilt and when I received the final block this past Wednesday I was able to complete the top. I started quilting the signature quilt on Friday night at 7:30 and worked for 5 hours. Then, yesterday, I was in my sewing room at 8:30 in the morning and finished at 2:30 this morning. Phew! But, I finished the quilt in time for it to be presented to her in church today, her first time back in church since her operation.

I also included some close up shots of the quilting. On the doors in the Farmhouse Quilt I FMQ the letter "S" because their last name begins with that letter. I did stippling in the cream sections to pop out the appliques and I did clamshell patterns in the roofs. I SITD on the houses and did a leafy vine in the outer border.

On the autograph quilt I did some heart themed FMQ in the cream squares (the flower within the heart), the side triangles (the feathered hearts) and in the border (continual hearts). In the green rectangles, I did echo stitching on the outside edge and the inside edge to make the signature rectangle pop. Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails sany0303.jpg   sany0306.jpg   sany0308.jpg   sany0309.jpg   sany0310.jpg  

sany0313.jpg   sany0314.jpg