View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 04:16 AM
weezie

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
Washing and drying is not the biggest issue for me....it is all of the straightening, starching and ironing that I object to. I pre washed a few yards waaaay back when and then never again. It takes way too much of my time away from the creating, piecing and quilting. I buy yards and yards of fabric and am not willing to spend time pre-washing.....just sayin..... I have yet to have a regret or ruined quilt. To each his own though.
DITTO! For a brief period of time, I did the wash, starch, & press routine, but whatever starched fabric I didn't use had to be re-washed. Whole process is a big PITA for me. For quilts I do with batiks, particularly pre-cuts, I baste an inexpensive muslin all around the edges of the completed top, covering all the seam allowances (to catch loose threads), then throw it in the washer with color catchers and that has worked well for me. It doesn't take long to baste the muslin on or to remove the basting. The muslin not only catches the loose threads, but gives me some idea of how much bleeding there is.