View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Cam Flower

Hello! Just was brousing this blog about sergers. I have had a Singer 34hu ( I think that is what it is) Since 1993 and love it! Once I learned how to thread it and balance the tension - we got allong great! I especially like it for quilting - made 5 blue jean quilts on it and they went quick and were so easy! and unlike the ones my mom made my kids - these will not fray and come apart! A friend made a tee shirt quilt and serged all her blocks. I just upgraded and bought a Bernina 1300 so I could do cover stitch and I really like it. I think the most important thing about buying and having a serger is to get it from a place that will also teach you how to use it and can service it quickly and will be there when you have trouble with it. When I bought my singer, Joanns' had serger classes and taught us how to make stuff with it. Same thing with the bernina. I think where you buy it is more important that the brand because they all work similar but when you have a problem, you need to be able to have someone help you with it so you can get your money's worth out of the machine and continue to use it!.

For example, I saw a pattern on the quilting board yesterday for a simple tissue holder takes 5 minutes! Well, I sat down today and in about an hour, on the serger, I had made about a DOZEN OR MORE!. Check it out! Now I have a little something to take to serging tomorrow and share! have also made tool caddys, purses, baby blankets, quilts, those hooded towels for babys, and lots of other stuff.