View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Cam Flower

The other secret to getting your money's worth out of a serger, I think, is to take it out of the box, thread it, get the basic flatlock tension set up and ready to run tension balanced, etc. ( I like to use 3 or 4 different colored threads so I can see what is not stitching right) and t hen, put the serger next to your sewing machine. everytime you are sewing a straight seam, do it on the serger. Pretty soon, you will be doing lots of stuff that way. Nice, neat, finished seams that when pressed, lay nice and flat.

The other secret is to take every serging class you can find, either online, at a local quilt shop or get a serging workbook and work your way thru it. ( Bernina had a serging workbook online that I receintly printed off and it has been fun working thru it. ) Cut up some scrap fabric and find some little thing and get to work. I also liek the idea of making pillow cases and donating them to charitable groups like children's hospitals and half/way houses or women shelters. Did you know you can make your own lace on a serger? and it is not hard at all!