Old 06-18-2013, 03:15 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Then there is the Kenmore plastic wonder. 1995.... I posted somewhere else but I'll post about it here, too...
The machine was one I won on line. I couldn't see it real well so I figured all those nice attachments would be worth the money I spent.
1) The attachments don't go to the machine.
2) The manuals (note plural) don't go to the machine.
3) The machine does not turn.
4) The machine does not have a power cord or foot control...
5) Fred Flintstone might have serviced it...

The attachments will go with some other machine around here and were worth the money I paid - I hope so anyway.
The manuals - well - I have to see if they go with anything in my hoard... but I fear it is the one that goes only in reverse...

Then the machine. This is a 1995 Kenmore with all kinds of bells and whistles... I dug through all the papers. Yes there were papers. This machine was taken to an AUTHORIZED SEARS SERVICE place. They charged $30 - doesn't say what they did - I think I know... The complaint was that it wouldn't sew over heavy material... I figured I had nothing to lose. Why not crack it open and see what there is to see inside a plastic wonder. Nothing to lose, right? Well the first thing I saw was a LOT of very hard gummy dried on oil - I'm thinking 3 in 1 oil... Tri-flow to the rescue. After I got the top of it oiled the machine reluctantly turned. I figured I should clean out the bobbin area - at first I didn't see one tiny little bit of lint.... then I probed. It was packed solid under there. Turns better... I noticed up in the needle bar area that there were threads wrapped around things that move or supposedly move. Almost every thing that moved up there had thread and dried up 3 in 1 oil. I worked on the stitch selector and got it moving. The button hole switch is still stuck ON. No cord so I don't know if it will run or not but I learned stuff.