View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Seaside gal

Originally Posted by MCH View Post
When I was in third grade (don't ask which decade of the previous century), my teacher read all the Little House books to us...and then, I borrowed them from the bookmobile and read them myself...and every few years, I re-read them. Hint: I think the books my teach read to us would have been first editions. I have the paperback set on the shelf in my sewing room. IMHO, it is a series of books every child should read. The lessons, attitudes, and values illustrated in those books are ones every child needs to learn.

Hmmm...just had an idea. Wouldn't it be a treasure for the grandchildren if they had a set of the books or perhaps just one or two of them, accompanied by a recording of Grandma and / or Grandpa reading the story. There is time do complete that project as a Christmas present...Hmmm..."visions of the Big Woods dancing in my head..." And, to top it off, perhaps a small quilt. What a unique Christmas gift!!
I love Little House too, been to Mansfield, went miles out of my way to see Laura's house but what caught my eye on your post was the mention of the bookmobile. I so loved it when the bookmobile came to our country school. Lots of people have never heard of them.