View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 05:21 AM
PaperPrincess
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Large squares of velvet shouldn't be too difficult to sew but washing the completed quilt may pose a problem. Some velvet is washable and some gets all crumpled looking.
I agree with this. You might want to look at the labels and only use the ones with similar washing instructions. However, you might like the crumpled look! Another option is just toss the garments into the washer before cutting (use a delicate cycle & woolite). I think the big issue is going to be the dryer. Use a low heat setting and remove promptly. Then just discard the items that didn't make it thru. You might want to consider using a little larger seam and maybe tie in the middle of the blocks in addition to the corners. I'd get out my button box and put a button in the middle of each square. The knap makes the velvet 'creep' a bit when you sew it. Pin, pin, pin and use a walking foot if you have one. And my final comment is have the knap going in different directions on your blocks. The colors will be subtly different and make it look like you have used even more fabrics than you did.