View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 05:26 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Name brand does not mean everything. You must consider the application and the effect you want. As Prism99 stated, weight is one thing to consider, construction of the thread is another. How many ply is it? (strands in the thread). Is the poly a trilobal, spun or monofilament? Do you want a shiney or matte finish? Do you want the thread to sink down into the fabric and not really show?

Go to this link and educate yourself on polyester threads http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...zing-substance

Once you have done that and know what you want from your thread then you can consider manufacturers and name brands.

My favorite polyester threads used for QUILTING (as opposed to piecing) are:
Glide by Filtec. This is my go to thread of choice for most quilting applications.
Isacord thread. This is actually an embroidery thread but quilts up wonderfully and is strong.
Invisifil thread an amazing 90 wt poly that quilts like silk. Great for doing tiny microfills or in situations where you don't want the thread to show but the texture.
Superior's products, again which thread depends on what look I am trying to acheive. Sometimes it just boils down to color. I have not yet tried their Magnifico (which was Superior's product to compete with Glide) but I have used Highlights, Rainbow, So Fine and Bottom line all with excellent results but the Highlights and Rainbow are weak polys and you have to use low tension settings on a LA or they shred and break. Again, Superior Threads website has reference guides that tell you this. Do not know how any of them work on DSM.