Old 06-19-2013, 11:13 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Well I don't have one that was "fixed" poorly ... but I do have one that the guy claimed "worked well". Take a look at the electric and tell me if you would DARE to plug it in to find out if was working.
Oh MAN! The scary part is -he- may have plugged that in to test to see if it worked. I certainly wouldn't. I sparkled (as mizkaki calls it) once recently, I'm not that interested in doing it again anytime soon.
I've gone to see machines that had wiring maybe not that bad, but still quite bad, and when they offer to plug it in, I say "No,... no that's OK, thanks, I don't want to set your house on fire." That usually makes them think.

I'd definitely call that a "what were they thinking", to think there's a good chance someone was using it with the wiring like that. I wonder if they had any tingling sensations...

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I would have to agree, there are some people who should not work on sewing machines. You all know who you are. Find someone who is a bit more handy and pay them - save a machine in the process. Then again I have seen machines that were worked over by Authorized service technicians...

Some of the worst machines I have cleaned up have turned out to be real keepers. It is hard to tell what is what though until you get into them.
Those machines that get worked over by authorized techs really get me. One of the local shops is hiring right now, "they'll train". Possibly one of the worst shops that I've dealt with, and who's crap I've had to clean up a bunch of times. They're the ones who "serviced" that Bernina that I'm still fighting with, in fact.

I agree, sometimes it's the diamonds in the rough (or grunge in this case) that shine the best. The 301 above is a great machine, and the 401 cleaned up really nicely (after the cat pee removal of course.)