View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 09:21 PM
NaomiA

Default I need some border help....

Ok, I'm having a dickens of a time. I am relatively new to quilting and could use some advice. I recently completed my first small bargello (Yeah!) I did the border as directed and hated it. I felt it needed the mitered corners - which the directions didn't tell me how to do. I had decided to do a small solid border, then a strip border of the tubes and then a wider border of the first border fabric - like the directions called but just miter them. I found a youtube video that showed a woman sewing mitered corners, and she made it look so easy. She also recommended sewing the different edgings together and then mitering them. Which was great. Except when I did that with the recommended overages of fabric that she mentioned, I don't have enough fabric to make the corners meet. So now I'm trying to decide what to do. I can go back to the original plan, which I didn't like in the first place. I think it didn't feel right because I felt the pieced section needed to be mitered to make it join smoothly.

I don't have any more tubes sewed together that I can simply cut more strips for (but I do have enough scraps that I could make another tube, and then use it.) I'm not sure I have enough of the outside border (but could make a trip to the quilt store). Plan 2 would be to make a new tube, cut more strips, and recut the borders to try and miter them. I'm still not 100% certain of my mitering skills. What seemed like a good idea at the time, has been an exercise in patience.

Third idea I have is to do standard border of the solid pieces. I can sew the inner solid border, piece the strip section, and then do standard border of the outer solid piece. I'm not convinced it would look 100% right if I miter the middle but not the surrounding pieces.

Advice desperately needed and appreciated. I really want to get the border on so I can take it to have it quilted. I've fallen in love with bargellos and decided that I will have them longarmed whenever possible. Please help. Thank you!

Last edited by NaomiA; 06-19-2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: typo