View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 05:26 PM
JanTx

Default T-shirt quilt - rectangles?

This is my first t-shirt quilt. I went to a class at a quilt shop and the template we used was 14 X 18. I had only imagined square blocks so this surprised me. I liked it for the most part because several of the graphics would not have fit in a square template. For those that had too much blank space at the bottom I took a graphic from another shirt and appliqued it on the block. I also put the label on the front to fill in the gap on one of the blocks. The owner of this quilt really liked that.

I used Quilter's Dream Poly for the batting. This requires stitching only every 12 inches. I hoped to keep the graphics more readable that way. I'm not sure I like the way the blocks look with this sparseness, but ... it is what it is!

I used a pellon featherweight stabilizer. It did not stay fused to the shirt as I thought it would. Is that true for most of these products? Because of the rectangular template I ended up with a quilt top that was too narrow for its length. So ... I adjusted the borders and sashing to compensate for that. The quilt ended up 60 X 80 overall.
Attached Thumbnails img_2125%5B1%5D.jpg   img_2121%5B1%5D.jpg   img_2122%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by JanTx; 06-20-2013 at 05:34 PM.