View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Ranchwife

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama View Post
Wonderful color combination, and your accuracy is beautifully done. RE:your QAYG -- what method did you use? I want to qayg a reversible quilt with blocks sewn together in the regular fashion on one side but have the other side be log cabin. I was wondering if this could be achieved by having the outside 'logs' of each log cabin block be wider than the other logs -- thinking I could fold them over and topstitch down like sashings - ???
I used a method I saw on You Tube by the queen of quilting. You see the block front, the make the sandwich with the batting and backing being about 1/2 inch larger on all sides. You quilt the block leaving at least 1 inch around the block front that isn't quilted. You then sew the blocks together by sewing the front of two blocks together. Press the seams, then trim the batting so that the edges butt up together. I then used heat press batting together to bind the batting. Then fold one side of backing down, fold the other side down and turn under. I hand stitched the backing at this point because machine stitching it didn't allow me to attach rows together in the same fashion. The quilt isn't at all bulky at the seams where the blocks are attached. The next quilt I make I'm going to sew together a row of blocks, make the sandwich, quilt each block, and then only join rows together. This should save time not having to hand sew the backing for each block.