View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Gerbie

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
I had to take mine down as bee's were swarming around it so bad even with the bee guards. I still see them around my flowers but not as much as I am used to.
I have had about the same number of hummers this year as before, we have 8 feeders out. This week have had a problem with bees. Had the same problem last year, may I ask where you found your bee guards? I would like to feed both the bees and the hummers, as I know we really need bees to help with pollination, but I prefer my hummers. I know I have to watch for ants as well, DH has put some water in the top section near the hanger of our feeders that have the little space, this keeps the ants away, but not the bees. I make my own feed. boil my tap water, then use 4 cups of water to 1 cup of sugar. When it is cool I put it in a special container in frig. I always use warm soapy water to clean my feeders each time I refil them. We have feeders in the front yard and the back yard.
Had a new metal roof put on week before last and had to move the feeders from usual place, but they soon found the new place. They weren't too happy with the noise from the roofing, but really fed each evening. Had some bad thunder storms this week, and they fed a lot just before the storm hit, and as soon as they were over. Hope your babies come back, so fun to watch.
I love the pic. of the babies and the fan, how cool to have your own little hummer nursery. I understand they often come back each year to nest in or near the same place. You may have annual boarders to watch. What fun!

Last edited by Gerbie; 06-21-2013 at 08:14 AM.