View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 05:59 AM
mengler

I've made a ton of these following the guidance of my wonderful quilting friend. If you use batting-then 3 inches smaller than whatever outside fabric size you choose. 1 inch seams, so there is still an inch between the seams and the batting edge. I don't use batting if the outside fabric is heavy, same for peekaboo or mock cathedral windows. If outside is quilting cotton or nursery knits, then yes either WN batting or plain flannel. If anything else, such as flannel, denim or fleece then no batting (too heavy). As "auntpiggylpn" said-no batting no X. As for the edge clipping at the end, I invested in "Fiskars 8-1/2-Inch Softouch Spring Action Rag Quilter Snip" available at Joanns and Amazon etc. It's the Best. Heavy short jaws make the rag part of rag quilting a snap. The short jaws reduce (not eliminate) snipping into the seam. I'd post a photo but I'm clueless for photos of any kind. DH does all that. Heres the link: http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-2-Inch...s+rag+quilting if you want to see it.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-19-2018 at 07:49 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps