Old 06-22-2013, 04:52 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I bought another clone yesterday. The lady had it on CL. It was priced right and I had time to go after it. She had moved to a condo and was getting rid of stuff. It was the very last thing she had in storage. She said she had a hard time bringing herself to part with it. She had hauled it all over the country over the years. She had gotten it to sew baby clothes when her daughter was born. I told her I planned to restore it and let someone learn to sew on it. She was thrilled. She said she thought it would have to be thrown away. She had no idea you could get a manual and parts for it or that anybody would want it. It looks like she barely used it. There is one place on the bobbin winder that needs touch up paint or something. The rest looks pretty good - nothing a good cleaning won't cure. So far it looks like baby clothes was all she ever did sew on it though. I'll shoot a pic tomorrow.
No pics I can't find my camera... bummer. I got that machine working - super nice. Then I fixed up a Singer 99 - sews nice, too. Lots of pin scratches and the finish is gone. Then I couldn't help myself. I got into the derelect Singer 15 that has been haunting my shop. When my sister was up she wanted me to show her how to take apart and fix a tension... so I dug that one out and we fixed it. I was pretty impressed how nice the rust and stuff cleaned off it so I thought I would tackle the rest of it. Plus Grant has been very encouraging. So far the foot lifts but nothing else does. I cleaned up the bobbin area - I'm impressed. It cleaned up nice - doesn't turn though. Then I got rust off the needle bar and the foot lifter - it goes but the needle doesn't. I'm fearing I will have to pull the needle bar out and clean it up and put it back. I'm lazy though - hopeful on the T-F. I also gave the whole thing a good Wilbur oiling. Maybe something will get through. The motor is off and could use a serious overhaul. I think that had the least rust if any. The stitch length lever travels but looks nasty. I got some rust off things like that but the damage is forever. The bobbin winder is a lost cause. I guess that's why side winders were invented... The decals are pretty faded - finish is long gone. All things considered - that machine was really exposed - open barn door - it is a wonder it isn't worse - it is a pity the cabinet is in such sad shape, too - it has good bones.