Old 06-23-2013, 02:27 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
301s are going to be the next hot thing like the FWs. They have already gone up in price. I haul mine to quilting classes rather than wear on the FW. I like sewing on it better anyway. Don't have to worry about it. Mine was nasty too when it arrived. I have become quite attached to it. They are still quite affordable, but going up every day.
I'm selling machines other than FW and 301 here, too. Nothing is 'hot' unless people know about the vintage machines. I'm finding young people are the ones that are buying the vintage machines. Many of them have heard that the vintage machines are going to hold up better than the plastic wonders. Some have had plastic wonders and they didn't hold up. Some have searched on line to find if a machine is any good or not. Some have found out from their grandma's. Then I have had a lot of men buy vintage machines. Motor cycle people seems to go for vintage. People who work on machinery know. Some of the men have tried to use their wife's machine and gotten the word - buy your own - I don't know how the men end up with a vintage machine but their wife uses a plastic wonder... Then I have seen women with the expensive computerized machines come after some machine like one they learned on - regret that they didn't keep it - but some find it is cheaper to buy some old vintage machine to do straight stitch than to have their expensive machine serviced. What ever reason vintage machines ARE coming back... slowly but they are coming back. I think it all boils down to how well you get to know a machine and make it work for your needs.