View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 03:43 AM
SandiGrove

A great question! We lived in Africa for many years and I was fascinated with the creativity and the sense of colour the African woman was able to put together without any formal training so I created a colourful garden,I would walk thru upholstery shops caressing the fabric!!!!not thinking or realising I would be quilting- on moving back to Australia we built a house on a very big piece of land and couldn't wait to create the garden BUT the drought had just begun and I just couldn't face the heat, aha I'd make the curtains for the kids rooms and painted the fabric (had never owned a sewing machine) I enjoyed that but after 3 rooms then what??? I met a mum at the kids school who asked me to join her for a quilting morning - with trepidation I went along - I really enjoyed the monthly meetings and learnt heaps. 13 years later - sold house - moved into an apartment - kids left home - have my own sewing room which is a hive of activity - I just am just so passionate about quilting - I love the colours, and creating,I love experimenting, and my mind races with ideas and excitement and the adrenal rush of choosing fabric is my therapy!!!! I give most of my quilts away,but in 2010 when Brisbane got so badly flooded I hand pieced a triangle for every day we were misplaced out of our home 90 triangles! Sewed them together and realised I needed to keep a few quilts for the kids to have with a bit of history!