Old 06-23-2013, 06:22 AM
Jakers1

I am making a GFG quilt with hexies. I use the cardboard hexies for the inside form. I cut the fabric into 2.5 inch squares and clip off the corners - reduces the bulk. I hold the fabric to the hexie form with a paper clip or two, no holes or glue to deal with. I found the 1 inch hexie pattern on texasfreckles web site, copied it and cut the hexies with an old rotary cutter. Fast and clean. I am making the flowers with a center and coordinating petals. I did cut some fabric that does not fit so I am making another top with those. The GFG flowers are going to be surrounded with white and connected with green. I am new at this, just started in March this year and love the process - and I used to hate hand sewing! I do hexies, flowers, and connections when I feel like it. And I do not press until the flower is done, the fabric gives better when not pressed. Just my way of doing it - and I did not like the ladder stitch and went back to the whip stitch, it seems to hold better. The idea of connecting the flowers together before it gets too unwieldy is a good idea, must try that. I found using an appliqué needle and fine thread works great. Other tips - I anchor the corners together so they do not come apart. Sorry for the long message, but thought someone could use the info that I found useful.