Old 06-24-2013, 10:58 PM
margecam52

Basically, you stitch the fronts (right sides together) and make sure you don't catch the batting/backing in the seams.
Once the top's seams are together, you will smooth out the batting and trim to fit if needed (my mom in law just overlapped hers...it was a real thin batting).
Once she had the batting smooth...she had used a blind stitch to secure the backing seams (same blind stitch you would use to hand bind a quilt).

Her friend, just sewed the backing (wrong sides together), trimmed the seam allowance, and hand stitched a bias binding over the seams (made from the backing material). I liked Mom Beck's better...you could hardly tell where it was seamed.

Originally Posted by mpepperm37 View Post
I hope you can help me find a way to finish a stash of blocks I found in my mom's house. She passed away last July and I found a few dozen blocks she apparently made and hand quilted in a "quilt as you go" fashion. So, there are 14-16 inch blocks quilted through the 3-layers (not trimmed). How to I connect the blocks? Sorry if it is a lame question, but I am a not-very-experienced quilter when it comes to techniques. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.