Old 06-25-2013, 04:13 AM
grant15clone

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
It doesn't look as good as I would like it to look but it does sew a stitch. I still feel a bit of a glitch somewhere when I turn it. The motor hasn't been worked on yet - I think it is frozen up. When I stuck it back on nothing moved. I used some green 'wet' oil I found at the bike shop for bike chains. It is probably too heavy and will need to come off but it seemed like when I used it stuff started to move all of a sudden. I figured this machine could be experimental. I'm partial to the Singer 15s and the clones. I think I haven't got one for parts yet. They all have been able to be made to sew.
Miriam, I picked up a 99 this past weekend and tested it. While it was running I felt that it was struggling a bit too much. I thought it was odd because it moved freely when I turned the handwheel. I started oiling it up and when I took off the footplate I found the problem. It was PACKED in there.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]420984[/ATTACH]

I cleaned it out and oiled it up. No more struggling.
Check behind the upper shaft balancer. I have found that this area is often the culprit. The balancer is the large "D" or "Y" shaped hunk of metal in the needlebar area and is what moves the needle bar up and down. Make sure you get oil back behind it, in between it and the bearing.
~G~
Attached Thumbnails img_9813c.jpg